Flamingo Rescue Guide
Number to call (if the first is unavailable, work down the list)
- FKK Contact: 7808020
- Dierenberscherming Contact: 7967000
- STINAPA Contact: 777-2018/787-0984
When does a flamingo need to be rescued?
If the flamingo flies away when you approach, it does not need to be rescued.
If it does not fly away, or only flies a few feet away and looks exhausted, it most likely needs to be rescued (unless it is a very young flamingo in a safe place (Cargill, Gotomeer). Young flamingos cannot find the right food in the mangroves or in Sorobon.
Info to be collected:
When you call, give the following info:
- Exact location of flamingo: approximate distances north/south of certain landmarks/dive site
- Color of bird – juvenile/adult?
- Time you first noticed the bird.
- Behavior of the bird.
- Other obvious problems (broken wing, exhausted, wrapped in line, etc.)
- If possible, stay with the flamingo until help arrives, but do not approach, take pictures, make noise near the bird or talk to the bird.